Become more involved with the success of the Clarice Smith Center! We have opportunities for both students and members of the community to volunteer.
Apply to Volunteer Now
Community Members and UMD Students: Complete our volunteer application now!
How We Select Volunteers
We accept volunteer applications at all times and review them on a rolling basis.
We select volunteers in the order in which we receive applications, seniority and quality of previous volunteer work at the Clarice Smith Center.
Who Can Be a Volunteer?
We want volunteers who are:
- friendly, outgoing and enjoy working with people,
- willing to commit to at least one full season of volunteering,
- interested in the work of the Clarice Smith Center, and
- at least 16 years of age.
What Do Volunteers Do?
Volunteers work primarily during performances, serving as greeters, ticket-takers, ushers and coat check attendants.
Volunteers arrive one hour before the performance start time.
Volunteers may choose their own performances. Assignments for the entire season are given on a first-come first-served basis in the late summer.
What Are the Benefits of Volunteering at the Clarice Smith Center?
After working their designated shift, volunteers are able to watch the performance for free. Volunteers are given a ticket (generally in the back or sides of the venue) to guarantee them a seat before the performance begins.
Additionally, volunteers may elect to join the Senior Volunteer Service Corps at the University of Maryland. (All are welcome to join — you do not have to be a senior citizen to enjoy these perks!)
The benefits of joining the SVSC include:
- A University "Affiliate" identity card
- Select discounts (i.e., discounted event tickets, bookstore discounts, etc.)
- A parking permit
- An email account
- Library card
- Use of UM shuttle buses
- Invitation to a recognition reception hosted by the University's president, holiday receiptions and other events throughout the year
For more information on SVSC, please visit the Senior Volunteer Service Corps website.
Contact Our Volunteer Coordinator
For more information about volunteering at the Clarice Smith Center, please contact Alex Pile at 301.405.6126 or email@example.com.